Thursday, June 12, 2008

pedicures


Everyone has told me over and over how great the pedicures and manicures are in Thailand, so I decided to get one – I want to experience all of the parts of Thai culture. I was on my way with Taylor to find a shop near our house when one of the college students who lives at our house saw us. She said that she would go with me and help me find a place. She took me to a place called “Jazzy Hair-Do.” From the outside, this looks like the nicest hair salon in our neighborhood. She said that it would be less than 3 dollars and that was a good price, so I agreed. The “woman” who greeted us at the door was a 5’ 10 man with long black hair, a white mini-skirt, make-up, and braces. I had heard there were a lot of transvestites in Thailand, so I decided not to worry too much, but I was a little uncomfortable. Then as I sat down in the shop, I realized that everyone working there was a man in disguise. Now, any of you that know me, understand that my love language is not touch, so the thought of having a man in makeup do my toes was not quite the experience that I was going for. Every part of me wanted to think of some reason to leave, but I couldn’t be rude. So, my first pedicure in Thailand was done by a man in a blue jean miniskirt and heels. After leaving the shop, I asked my friend if she knew beforehand that everyone in there was a transvestite, she said yes. I think that is going to be the last time that I get her advice on where to go.
Yesterday (Wednesday), I finally was able to see a little bit of the Buddhist religion. Grant and the rest of our team went on a temple tour. I couldn’t go because of the kids, so we decided to do some fun things together. I had promised the kids that I would take them to breakfast, so we went out for waffles. The restaurant was just opening up when we got there, so I was I able to witness their rituals first-hand. They had around three or four small idols around the restaurant. The mother went to each of them and silently prayed. Then she got a tray with three small oranges and three small drinks. I thought she was going to bring them to my kids, but she put them on one of the idols. I am not really sure of the religious significance of all of that, but it was interesting to see.
Then last night I went to the girl’s small group here at the house. It was all in Thai of course. This has been an incredible humbling experience for me. I cannot understand a word anyone says, but in Mexico of course I am practically bilingual. I am thankful for this experience though because I believe this is going to teach me to be so much more empathetic and patient with people as they try to learn Spanish.

4 comments:

joetrice said...

I may have sent you this already.
I love your blogs.
I NEED YOUR PHONE NUMBER.
Love
Daddy

WindhamsInOaxaca said...

From David and Joni Windham...How encouraging for us to hear from you Jenn!!! Everything you just wrote about your trip to and how you feel in Thailand are exactly how we are about Mexico. We appreciate your honesty and candor. We are really looking forward to hitting language training in August. We are also excited to partner with GFM in whatever God has us do.

John Muir Trail Trek said...

Jenn...
YOU CRACK ME UP!! I can just see you cringing. Wish I was a fly on the wall.....you are amazing.
I sure do miss you and the kids here. I go upstairs to the clinic and it is eerie. Where is Jordan to assist me and ask a million "whys?" And of course I am so happy about the "empathy" part so when you return and I am STILL saying stupid things you definitely want to help me. :D
You all are sooooo loved and missed!
Rhonda

Susan said...

Thanks so much for keeping this blog. It's great to hear what is going on with you. We are praying for you guys.

Susan Washburn